The end of the school year is almost here! While summer offers opportunities for fun, there is also the possibility for our school-aged children to forget what they have learned this year. In response, the Champaign PTA Council has partnered with the Champaign Unit 4 School District to help our students keep their brains sharp over the summer months. We are creating a multi-faceted summer reading program that will offer a variety of options to fit our students’ different schedules and learning styles.
The PTA Council is offering bridge activity books to Unit 4 students. These books contain activities that match curriculum from the school year and provide materials for the children to work at their own pace over the summer months. We will also be hosting activity nights over the summer. Details will be coming soon.
To kick it off, we are hosting a Read-A-Thon! The summer Read-A-Thon will be held May 13th through May 24th, 2013. We will be sending home information sheets and pledge forms for this optional program. Students will be able to spend 70% of what they collect in pledges, and the remaining 30% will be applied to the reading program. This means that 100% of all raised money will go back into the program!
Here are other upcoming opportunities for parents:
• The Champaign PTA Council is establishing a Parent Resource Group. This special (PTA) committee is being created to help address the growing needs within our district families. There are no formal meetings to attend. This is simply an online commitment with quarterly training sessions on local social services. If you have an expertise you can share we invite you to attend an upcoming informational session. For more information you may contact me. I am the PTA Vice President Sheri Williamson. I can be reached via email: swlmsn79@gmail.com.
• Join the Champaign PTA Council listserv at champaignptacouncil@yahoogroups.com for details on new programming, updates on speakers, and other parental opportunities.

If you are interested in your child participating in the Summer Reading Program please contact me. For those parents with a child who is in an RTI group at their elementary school we will be working with schools to provide the bridge activity books free of charge to students who participate in an RTI group at their elementary school.

Attached is the order form for the Summer Bridge Activity Books for all others who would like to participate.

parentsendhomeflyercombofundraiserandparentsavings

Advertisements